Mobility Foundation - Adi Kol
These exercises are to be executed slowly and with a detailed focus on the movement.
Once the foundation is developed, progressions into adding heavier weight, resistance, or speed can be implemented to then train for higher levels of performance.
EXERCISE #1: SINGLE LEG BALANCE WITH WEIGHT
Standing on one leg, hold the opposite leg up to 90 degrees.
- Relax the knee and ankle of the elevated leg and focus on the position of the pelvis by keeping it level.
- On the same side of the leg off the ground, hold a dumbbell or kettlebell. The extra weight will act to throw you off balance, causing you to counter the force.
- Use anywhere from 10-20lbs and focus on holding for 30 second intervals.
- Avoid leaning back to ensure staying neutral for proper core muscle sequencing.
EXERCISE #2: SINGLE LEG PALOFF PRESS
Standing on one leg, press the band straight out in front of you while preventing the force of the band from pulling you over.
- Attempt continuous repetitions without putting the foot down.
- Alternate between the stance leg being closer to the band and then the stance leg being farther from the band anchor placement.
- Make sure to do both sides by facing both ways so the band comes from your left and then also your right.
- Repeat 15 times each way.
Progress this move by pressing the band out and then overhead for more advanced control training.
EXERCISE #3: TANDEM PALOFF PRESS & WALKOUT
Start with standing heel to toe position. Hold the band belly height and elbows in.
- Press the band straight out while maintaining balance and preventing the band from pulling you over.
- Return to start position.
- Do 10-15 repetitions. Repeat another set but switch the foot position.
Once this position is mastered, progress the movement by holding the band straight out and walking heel to toe while preventing the band from pulling you off balance.
Walk forward and backward while continuing to hold the band straight out in front of you. Attempt 5-10 steps each direction depending on the space available.
Repeat facing both ways.
EXERCISE #4: RUNNER STRIDE
Start on the floor in the lunge position with hips and knees at a 90/90 angle.
- While keeping torso erect, push up from the front leg and drive the back leg forward.
- End in a single leg stance position, attempting to hold for 1-2 seconds to ensure control.
- Then return back to the lunge position.
- Repeat 10-15 each leg.
EXERCISE #5: SINGLE LEG HIP HINGE
Start by standing with a pole or dowel behind your back while ensuring it makes contact with the back of your head, shoulder blades, and tailbone. (Can be done without a pole as well).
- Slowly lean forward on one leg while kicking the opposite leg straight behind you, still maintaining the dowel on all 3 points of contact.
- Allow a slight bend in the knee but focus more on the hip angle and pushing your weight back.
- Your stance leg knee should not move past your toes.
- Make sure the hips do not rotate and that they are level.
- Return back to start position. Repeat 10-15 times each leg.